Nearly all Kiwis know someone with dementia. That’s a lot of us. Have you, or someone you know, been affected by dementia? Would you like to know more about how to assist those with dementia? Well, you’re in luck, and the right place! Alzheimers New Zealand have launched a new initiative called Dementia Friends, where they aim to create a more dementia-friendly NZ - by raising awareness about the condition and addressing stigma, misunderstanding and fear. Alzheimers NZ wants to build a kinder, more understanding and helpful NZ for those living with dementia.
It’s super easy to become a Dementia Friend and to help people with dementia. You can do small, simple things such as;
- Wearing a Dementia Friends badge or wristband, available for free by completing the online learning module detailed below
- Thinking about how you communicate and listening more, including the person with dementia and giving them time to respond, asking simple questions, and focusing on the person rather than the dementia
- Offering to help, e.g. for a neighbour
- Popping over for a cuppa and a chat
And of course, for those who want to do something a bit more, there are options too;
- Learning more about dementia
- Regularly helping someone
To become a Dementia Friend, simply click here and complete the 20 minute online learning module. You will start to learn a bit about dementia, how to help people living with the condition, and how to be a great Dementia Friend. Click here for more information about Dementia Friends.
Spread the word about Dementia Friends - sharing these resources with your network will help take us one step closer to a Dementia Friendly Aotearoa New Zealand!