Not sure how to start volunteering? Sometimes the hardest part is taking the first step. Here's our top tips:
- Talk with your friends about volunteering they’re involved in. Tag along with them at their next volunteer event to learn more about it.
- Check out your local library and community centre notice boards for volunteering opportunities.
- Sign up to online newsletters. Many organisations have regular newsletters with information about what they’re up to, and asking for help.
- Be brave and make the first contact. Email organisations or pop into their local office to introduce yourself and ask out if there is something you can help with.
- Use social media for good. Connect with organisations on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter, and follow what their volunteers are doing.
- Talk to your teachers. They’ll know of school volunteer projects that you can contribute to.
- Teach an older person how to use their computer or Instragram!
- Visit your local volunteer centre (google it) and ask for their support.
- Pick your own project - build team, make a plan and do a project.
There are many organisations and clubs that always need volunteers, and are looking at ways to engage more with young people. Whether you look online, in person, or create your own project - there are easy and accessible ways to get involved with volunteering.